Thursday 17 July 2014

POPULAR by Maya Van Wagenen Review

Popular by Maya Van Wagenen is a fantastic book. It's an easy read that is so enjoyable that it will keep you flipping pages for hours. I finished this book in one night it was so good. I'm not a big fan of autobiographies or true stories however the premise of this book is so interesting I just had to buy it.

Maya is a brave girl! I admire her so much for what she did stepping out of her comfort zone like that. What I liked most about this book is how she wrote about other peoples reactions, it was very interesting to see what people thought of her when she went out of her way to talk to them.

Another thing that I love about this book is that it ends with a very true conclusion about popularity; that no one is actually popular and that no one feels popular. I appreciated this because for a while during reading it I couldn't help but think that Maya was the problem and that it was her fault that she was unpopular. She almost seemed judgemental however towards the end she notes that the biggest part of popularity is talking to other people and putting herself in 'their space'.

I would recommend this to anyone of any age. It might be marketed toward a teenage audience but anyone would enjoy the funny well written characters and have a good laugh at the uncomfortable situation that Maya puts herself in.

- Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment